Monday, January 28, 2013

Chicken Cacciatore

Honestly I have never had Chicken Cacciatore before, well at least that I remember of anyway.  I got this recipe from a friend and decided to give it a try.  Oh my, am I glad I did.  The flavor is amazing, the chicken was so tender, and it was really easy to make (you know me I love the easy to make recipes!).  

By now you know I am the one who does the cooking around here and I do not make separate meals for family members.  What I make to eat either you eat it or you don't eat - simple enough!  So I love when I try a new recipe and it is a hit by the whole family - this is one of those recipes!


Ingredients...
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2 inch pieces
Sea Salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Paprika, to taste
1/2 cup whole wheat flour, for dredging
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 large red bell pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
8 ounces baby Portobello mushrooms, sliced
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3/4 cup dry red wine
1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes,, with juice
1 14.5 ounce can petite diced tomatoes, with juice
1 cup mushrooms (optional)
3/4 cup chicken broth
2 teaspoons garlic powder
crushed red  pepper, to taste
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 cup coarsely chopped parsley

Directions...
1.  Sprinkle the chicken pieces with 1 teaspoon each of salt and pepper.  Liberally sprinkle the chicken with paprika.  Dredge the chicken pieces in flour to coat lightly. 
2.  In a large heavy saute' pan, heat 2 tablespoons oil over a medium-high flame.  Add the chicken pieces to the pan and saute' until just brown, about 5 minutes per side.  Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.
3.  Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil to the same "dirty" pan used to cook the chicken.  Add the bell pepper, onion, and garlic.  Saute' over medium heat until the onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.  Add the mushrooms and cook 3-4 minutes. Add the wine and simmer until reduced by half, about 3 minutes.
4.  Add the crushed tomatoes and diced tomatoes, broth, garlic powder, crushed red peppers, and oregano.  
5.  Return the chicken pieces to the pan and turn them to coat in the sauce.  Bring the sauce to a simmer.  Continue simmering over medium-low heat until the chicken is just cooked through, about 30 minutes.
6. Sprinkle chicken with parsley and serve.

I have now made this several times for my family and each time it is a hit.  I always try to have two vegetables with our dinners, so this particular night from the photo above we had carrots (my kids' favorite) and steamed broccoli.  I have also made paired it with brown rice or whole wheat pasta plus the two veggies.  

See how easy eating healthy can be?  
Want more healthy recipes - visit the Eat Clean Recipes section of my blog or CLICK HERE.  
If you want to start eating healthy but have no clue where to begin, CONTACT ME and I can help you.  I did not learn all of what I know about clean eating myself.  I was lucky enough to have had some amazing people who taught me all they knew.  I feel better, I look better, and most important to me is I am setting a positive example for my family!  

Together we can all lead fit, happy, and healthy lives together!
~Alyson
alysonhorcher.blogspot.com
beachbodycoach.com/alysonh
myshakeology.com/alysonh
facebook.com/alysonhorcher
Post a Comment