Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Homemade Tomato Sauce

tasty tuesday, healthy eating, healthy recipes, clean eating, clean eating recipes, homemade tomato sauce, homemade spaghetti sauce, homemade marinara, easy healthy recipesGetting back into the swing of things here and I have to say having a week of someone else preparing my food was quite nice!! The first week after vacation is always and adjustment but I refuse to just leave my meal choices up to chance SO back to the kitchen I go!! Plus it is really important to me that myself and my family are eating good wholesome food and not living off of processed prepared foods, a.k.a. JUNK!!
Yesterday I was feeling a bit adventurous and decided to combine two of my homemade tomato sauce recipes into one!! I LOVE to cook but I also love to have a recipe to follow. The end result I thought was great!! My son even had some on his spaghetti which he never has done before.  Win Win for Momma here!!

When I began eating clean I realized how hard it was to find a jarred tomato sauce that was considered clean so I started looking into making my own. I kept it simple that's for sure. Now I prefer to make my own and it really does not take much time at all. I usually try and remember to make extra so I can freeze it that way when a recipe calls for tomato sauce I have some of my own to use. 

Homemade Tomato Sauce

Ingredients...
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
5 garlic cloves, finely chopped or minced if you prefer
1 celery stalk, finely chopped
1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
3 cups pureed tomatoes
4 plum tomatoes diced
4 bay leaves
3 teaspoons basil
1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped or 1/4 cup dried
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

Directions...
1. Heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until onions are translucent. 
2. Add celery, carrots, salt, and pepper. Sauté until vegetables are soft ~ 10 minutes. 
3. Add diced tomatoes and stir until tomatoes start to come apart.
3. Add pureed tomatoes, bay leaves, basil, and parsley.  Bring to a boil and continue to stir. 
4. Reduce heat and Simmer for at leave 60 minutes

There you go, homemade sauce that does not break the bank, quick to throw together, and tastes better than the store-bought variety.

tasty tuesday, healthy eating, healthy recipes, clean eating, clean eating recipes, homemade tomato sauce, homemade spaghetti sauce, homemade marinara, easy healthy recipes, learning how to cook

I use to never like to cook and now it is like an art to me!! I love challenging myself in the  kitchen and best of all I know what I am creating is best for my family. I want to teach my children that healthy foods can taste great and are what we all should be eating!! Nothing pleases me more than hearing my children tell someone about which foods are healthy and not healthy. 

tasty tuesday, healthy eating, healthy recipes, clean eating, clean eating recipes, homemade tomato sauce, homemade spaghetti sauce, homemade marinara, easy healthy recipes

If you are interested in more healthy recipes for you and/or your family please feel free to check out my Eat Clean Recipes section. Also if you are interested in cleaning up your eating habits or getting started eating healthier feel free to CONTACT ME and possibly be a member in my next healthy eating group. I know for me the biggest part of learning how to eat healthy was to have support to help me have the strength to say NO MORE to the bad junk food that use to fill my house!! After that it was all about learning how to change some of my eating habits and from their healthy habits were formed.  Let me help you do the same!! 


Now is the time to learn how to live a 
FIT, HAPPY, and HEALTHY Life 
and we will do it 
TOGETHER!!!!
~Alyson




Post a Comment