Monday, November 18, 2013

100/0


Have you ever been asked the question, how much work are you willing to put into something?  I remember this question from my days of interviewing for new jobs or promotions.  My answer was always 110% or more - whatever is needed to get the job done!! 

So now let me ask this question, you got the job and now are working with someone on a project.  
What percentage of shared responsibility do you have in this project?  Lets go further and talk about relationships in general - What percentage of shared responsibility do you have in making a relationship work?  

I would normally say 50/50.  If we are in a relationship together we both have to put in our fair share and splitting it right down the middle seems fair enough.  RIGHT?  Have you ever been on a project and the project you feel does not go well and it is because of the other person? 

After reading The Compound Effect by Darren Hardy I now answer the relationship question a different way. 
 My new answer to the question is 100/0.  

Say What?!?!
Well if I give 100 percent and expect nothing of the other person I would be the one doing all the work.  Right?

Yes that is what I thought at first too when I read this particular part of the book.  

In the book Darren Hardy is telling a story of a seminar he attended where this question was asked.  The speaker at the seminar said this, "You have to be willing to give 100 percent with zero expectation or receiving anything in return.  Only when  you're willing to take 100 percent responsibility for making the relationship work will it work.  Otherwise, the relationship left to chance will always be vulnerable to disaster."

Ahh, now that makes more sense and I would never have thought about it that way.  Only I am responsible for everything I say and do. But do I take 100% responsibility? NOPE!! I know I have passed the blame onto others many times.   I notoriously blame traffic for my being late. Guess what if I wasn't rushing to get out of the house in the first place I would have made it in time regardless of the red lights I hit on my way.  If I would have planned better I wouldn't have been rushing. 

Have you ever said you were having a bad day because of something someone else did or something that happened? 



In the book Darren Hardy says this, 
"You alone are responsible for what you do, don't do, or how you respond to what's done to you....Luck, circumstances, or the right situation wasn't what mattered. If it was to be, it is up to me. I was free to fly...I was still 100 percent in control of me. 



Look what a little personal development reading did for me. 
I see things in a whole new way.  
Have you read the book, The Compound Effect?  
If so why, and what were your take-aways? 

As a Beachbody Coach, a.k.a. Health and Fitness coach one of our three vital behaviors is to take part in personal development daily. This particular behavior has been something I struggled to take the time out of each day to do.  Each time I do it though I grow as a person and know I can help others even more.  I have been doing well with personal development lately and understand its importance.  I am thankful for Beachbody for helping me learn in order to help others grow, I myself have to continue to grow as well.  One of my ways of growing as an individual is through personal development!! 

Now is the time to learn how to live a 
FIT, HAPPY, and HEALTHY Life 
and we will do it 
TOGETHER!!!!

~Alyson


@alysonhorcher - Instagram

Post a Comment