Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Tex-Mex Quinoa Bake

Each month when my Clean Eating magazine comes in the mail, I can't wait to dive into and see what new recipes they have for me!! 

www.alysonhorcher.com, tex-mex quinoa bake, quinoa dinner recipes, healthy dinner recipes, kid friendly healthy dinners, I love to cook healthy, cooking is fun, learn to cook healthyI remember back when I didn't like cooking - it was a daunting task and it was so much easier to either go out to eat (which included the occasional drive-thru) or microwave a frozen dinner. 
Easy right, we need quick and easy!!


Well fast forward to the present day and I can tell you I LOVE to COOK!!


It does sometimes take longer than I would like and yes I still on occasion enjoy going out (no drive-thru for me though!!) but no microwave frozen dinners live in my house anymore!! 
Nowadays I look for healthy and simple quick meals to make and if it is a quick one that is a bonus!!


www.alysonhorcher.com, tex-mex quinoa bake, quinoa dinner recipes, healthy dinner recipes, kid friendly healthy dinners, I love to cook healthy, cooking is fun, learn to cook healthy, clean eating

Tonight I want to share with you a recipe I got from Clean Eating Magazine and it is filled with so much flavor my husband went back for seconds and my kids finished their plates no problem!
(parents you know this is huge when there is no whining or nose snubbing at the dinner table!)

I share with you 
www.alysonhorcher.com, tex-mex quinoa bake, quinoa dinner recipes, healthy dinner recipes, kid friendly healthy dinners, I love to cook healthy, cooking is fun, learn to cook healthy, clean eating
I made only a few adjustments to the original recipe

Ingredients...
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
1/2 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon sea salt, divided
1 teaspoon cumin
2 teaspoon EVOO
1 small sweet onion, chopped finely
1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped finely
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup frozen corn kernels
1 15oz can black beans, drained, rinsed
5 oz. shredded Mexican cheese blend
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves

Directions...
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mist an 8 inch square baking dish with cooking spray. In a medium saucepan on high, bring 2 cups water to a boil. Stir in quinoa and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let rest covered for 5 minutes. Pour quinoa into a a large mixing bowl. Add cumin and stir to combine
2. While quinoa is simmering, in a large skillet on medium-high heat, add oil and heat. Add onion, bell pepper, black pepper, and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Cook stirring until lightly browned ~ 8-10 minutes. 
Add corn and cook until corn is heated through ~ 3 minutes.  Add beans and cook until heated through ~ 2 minutes. Each time you add new ingredients be sure to continue to mix in the pan. 
3. Add onion and bell pepper mixture to quinoa and mix to combine. Stir in 3 oz of cheese. 
4. Transfer quinoa mixture to prepared baking dish and sprinkle with remaining 2 oz of cheese over top. Bake until cheese is melted ~ 10 to 12 minutes. Let sit for 5 minutes, sprinkle cilantro on top and serve. 

So easy, so delicious, and so good for you!!
www.alysonhorcher.com, tex-mex quinoa bake, quinoa dinner recipes, healthy dinner recipes, kid friendly healthy dinners, I love to cook healthy, cooking is fun, learn to cook healthy, clean eating, who knew healthy would taste so good

Need more healthy recipes? Need help getting started eating healthier? Ask me about my healthy eating support and accountability groups where I teach you how to eat healthy, share some more of these delicious recipes, meal planning tips, and best of all help you learn how to make this part of your lifestyle!!

Now is the time to learn how to live a 
FIT, HAPPY, and HEALTHY Life 
and we will do it 
TOGETHER!!!!


www.alysonhorcher.com, tasty tuesday, healthy eating, clean eating, healthy recipes, clean recipes, lenten meals, meat free meals, 3 day refresh, veggie stir fry, healthy lifestyle, beachbody coach, looking for a beachbody coach








Post a Comment