Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Slow Cooker Chicken, Bean, and Spinach Enchiladas

Mmm, I just love enchiladas but ever since I have changed my eating habits to follow clean eating I have not been able to find a recipe for clean enchiladas that I liked.  Until...

I found this recipe for Chicken, Bean and Spinach Enchiladas and the best part about it was it's a recipe for the CROCK POT!! 




Slow Cooker Chicken, Bean, 
and Spinach Enchiladas

clean eating, crock pot clean eating recipes, clean eating mexican recipes
In the crock pot before we dug in!!

Ingredients...
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts 
1 can black beans, rinsed (15.5 oz)
1 10 oz package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed of excess liquid
1 cup frozen corn
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
8 ounces sharp cheddar, grated (2 cups)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt 
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 1/2 cups salsa
8 6-inch whole wheat tortillas


Directions....
1. Boil chicken breast in water for 10 minutes, remove and shred
2. In a medium bowl, mash half the beans.
3. Add the shredded chicken, spinach, corn, cumin, 1 cup cheddar, the remaining beans, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper to mashed beans and toss to combine
4. Spread 1 jar of salsa in the bottom of a 4 to 6 quart slow cooker.
5. Dividing evenly, roll up the bean mixture in the tortillas (~a 1/2 cup each) and place the rolls seam-side down in a single layer in the slow-cooker. Top with remaining salsa and cheddar.
6. Cover and cook until heated through, on low for 5-6 hours or high for 3-4 hours

clean eating, crock pot clean eating recipes, clean eating mexican recipes
our dinner plate
A few notes: 
I loved this meal and so did my husband, my kids found it to be a bit spicy.   Next time I will make this recipe without the salsa on top and just the cheese. Then when the meal is cooked, my husband and I can add the salsa on our own plates. 

I served this with a spinach salad with radish and sliced carrot.  

My slow cooker was not big enough for me to lay each enchilada in a single layer row so I put them on top of one another and it turned out fine.

If you are interested in more healthy recipes or maybe even learning how to eat healthy CONTACT ME and I can help you get started. I know for me the biggest part of learning how to eat healthy was to have support to help me have the strength to say NO MORE to the bad junk food that use to fill my house!! After that it was all about learning how to change some of my eating habits and from their healthy habits were formed.



Now is the time to learn how to
Live a Fit, Happy, and Healthy life
and WE will do it 
TOGETHER!!!!
~Alyson


@alysonhorcher - Instagram
Post a Comment