Monday, October 22, 2012

Pumpkin Chocolate Granola Bars

There is no way that these delicious "treats" can be good for you! Wait, They are not "treats" in fact they are good for you Granola Bars!!!!!
They taste so good and I seriously had to stop myself from eating them otherwise I would have eaten the whole pan.  Another greatness about these Granola Bars is that my whole family loves them.  Bonus! Now I have a healthy snack alternative for my kids too! My husband kept coming back for more when he came home from work today.  I had to remind him not to have too many otherwise he would not be hungry at dinnertime. 



What I also love about these bars is that they are perfect for this time of year - Fall!  I love the taste of pumpkin anything and these are right up my alley.  Be sure to check back later in the week for more recipes that include my fall favorite - PUMPKIN!!!!




So today I had two bars for my afternoon snack...I could have eaten more but I didn't! Hopefully tomorrow I will have the same willpower!  I am guessing by my family's love of these bars I am going to be making another batch later this week. Actually I am sure I will be making another batch!!!!

  

PUMPKIN CHOCOLATE GRANOLA BARS


Ingredients...

3 1/4 cup rolled oats
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup applesauce
1/3 cup honey
1/2 cup 85% dark chocolate
2/3 cup sliced almonds
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions...

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray an 8x8 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
  2. Chop your chocolate into small pieces.
  3. In a large bowl combine oats, spices, and salt together. Set aside.
  4. In a medium bowl whisk pumpkin, applesauce, honey, and vanilla extract until smooth.  Pour over oats and stir well, until all oats are moist. 
  5. Stir in chocolate and almonds.
  6. Evenly press oat mixture into prepared pan.  
  7. Bake for 25-35 minutes or until golden brown.  The pumpkin keeps the bars moist, so make sure they are golden and set.  You don't want them to be under baked.
  8. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
  9. Using a sharp knife, cut into bars. Remove from pan and let cool completely.
Makes 10-12 granola bars

Enjoy the wonderful flavors of fall!
~Alyson


Post a Comment