Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Minestrone Soup

All these colder days have been getting me in the mood for soup. I use to always buy the canned soup until I learned a healthier alternative...make your own at home! I know simple right? I just never thought about it.  Now I love making homemade soups.  I have so many tasty recipes I can't wait to start making them now that the colder weather is here.

Minestrone has always been one of my favorites and now I have a recipe I can make at home.

Ingredients...
1 large onion, diced
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 ribs celery, diced
1 large carrot, peeled and diced
1 medium zucchini, diced (I was out of zucchini so I used green beans)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth or low sodium chicken broth
1 28 ounce can no salt added diced tomatoes
1 15 ounce can no salt added crushed tomatoes
1 15 ounce can low sodium cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup whole grain elbow pasta
1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves

Directions...

  1. In a large pot over medium-high heat, heat oil and add onion.  Saute for about 3 minutes or until translucent
  2. Add garlic, cook for 30 seconds
  3. Add celery and carrot, cook and stir for 5 minutes or until vegetables begin to soften
  4. Add zucchini (in my case green beans), oregano, basil, salt, and pepper. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently
  5. Add the broth and the diced and crushed tomatoes, bring to boiling
  6. Reduce heat to medium low, simmer uncovered for 10 minutes
  7. Add the beans and pasta, cook 10 to 15 minutes more until pasta and vegetables are tender
  8. Top servings with cheese and parsley
Makes approximately 6 servings

Enjoy!!
~Alyson














Post a Comment