Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Clean Eating Meatballs

Who doesn't love to be praised after they have cooked a homemade meal? Well I don't know about you but I sure do! 

Tonight I made Spaghetti and meatballs for dinner with a side of freshly steamed green beans.  My husband had two platefuls and wanted more! He was so excited I made meatballs, I did not dare tell him they were also good for him! 

See a few months ago I was introduced to a new way of eating, it is called Clean Eating.  I learned a lot about what I was eating and why I was feeling like crap all the time.  I also learned what I should be eating and how it will help fuel my body with what it needs and make me feel a whole lot better! 

Some of the changes I made were getting rid of ground beef from my diet and so that also took with it my recipe for homemade meatballs.  My husband was devastated as this was one of his favorite meals that I would make.  He even shared with me that I made better meatballs than his mother!  Any wife knows this is a compliment above all compliments! 

It took me some time but I was able to find a delicious recipe for clean eating meatballs that I love (and now so does my husband). 

Clean Eating Meatballs

Ingredients...

1 1/2 pounds lean ground turkey or chicken (I used ground turkey)
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 egg lightly beaten
1 cup oat bran or Ezekiel bread crumbs
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
2 tablespoons fresh basil, finely chopped
2 tablespoons fresh oregano, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

Directions...
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees (also something new to me, I have only ever browned on stove top and then placed in tomato sauce to cook)
  2. In a large bowl place egg, bread crumbs/oat bran, and spices.  Mix well
  3. Add remaining ingredients and mix well
  4. Using an ice cream scoop to make meatballs or roll by hand and place on prepared baking sheet (I roll by hand)
  5. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden
I served the meatballs with whole wheat spaghetti and homemade clean pasta sauce and as mentioned earlier a side of freshly steamed green beans.

Yum, Yum, Yum! Looks like spaghetti and meatballs has found its way back onto our family menu!

Enjoy
~Alyson
alysonhorcher@gmail.com
teambeachbody.com/alysonh
myshakeology.com/alysonh

Post a Comment